Thursday, August 23, 2018




Civil ceremonies can take place in locations that have been approved by the Italian authorities. These include many villas, castles, town halls, public gardens etc. They are generally performed in Italian by the city mayor or a civil officer.
If neither or only one of you can speak Italian, then you will need to engage the services of a translator – the interpreter does not have to be an official translator so if one of your guests is fluent, don’t be tricked into paying. When you have decided your wedding date, contact the Comune (Town Hall) of the Italian town where you intend on marrying to check the availability of your dates and to find double check the documents that are required. You will need to make two appointments at the Town Hall, the first is to make a declaration of the intent to marry before the Civil Registrar (Ufficiale dello Stato Civile) and the second appointment is for the actual civil marriage ceremony. It would also be a good idea at this point to find out how many days prior to your wedding you need to submit all the appropriate documents.
All documents for US citizens will need to be endorsed with an Apostille Stamp. An Apostille Stamp authenticates documents executed outside of Italy (such as a birth certificate,) so that it will be recognised as genuine/ official / legitimate for use in other countries, such as Italy.

All original documents will need to be accompanied by Italian translations. This must be done by an agency verified by the Italian Consulate.
Do not apply for documents and certificates more than 6 months before the wedding as they will expire under Italian regulations.

US and Australian Citizens

  • Valid Passport
  • Official, Long Form, signed Birth Certificate’s
  • Divorce Decree (if appropriate)
  • In Italy, a woman cannot remarry withing 300 days of the date of her divorce unless she obtains special permission from the Procura della Repubblica presso il Tribunale (District Attorney’s office) at the Palazzo di Giustizia (Courthouse) in the city where the wedding will be performed. This permission will not be issued unless she can present medical evidence that shows she is not pregnant.
  • Parents Consent if either party is under 18
  • Death Certificate (if appropriate)
  • Atto Notorio | Sworn Affidavit (US and Australian Citizens Only)
These documents (one each) need to be obtained before the wedding either by making an appointment with your nearest Italian consulate or waiting until you’re in Italy itself (not advised, harder process and more paperwork). The Atto Notrio is basically a declaration that states you are who you say you are. You and your fiancé / fianceé will need to present yourself at the Italian Consulate along with two witnesses to make this declaration. As well as your passports, birth certificate, divorce decrees and death certificates (accompanied by their translations and apostille stamps) you will also need copies of your drivers license, your fiancé / fianceé’s drivers license and the drivers licenses belonging to your two witnesses. Important: you must receive your Atto Notorio within the three month period before  your wedding date.

1 comment:

I really happy and overjoyed for your kind words for my work.